One of the breads at the top of my list, that I cannot get enough of, is a rich, hearty brown bread. The kind you can just tear apart (or slice it if you have to share) and enjoy as-is. No butter required.
A good brown bread should be robust, intense and hearty, but never dry.
There are so many things to point out about this bread recipe, so many really good features that it’s hard to pick which ones to highlight first. But this bread is proof that a good brown bread does exist AND it’s easy to make.
It starts with ingredients you probably have on hand. And it all comes together very easily to create one of the best loaves that goes with just about any meal. For dinner, breakfast or just a snack, it is versatile enough to enjoy anytime.
Plus, it’s dairy free, yeast free, uses no xanthan gum and has no rice flour. In fact, there’s very little flour used in the recipe – a little over ½ cup is all you need.
And if that doesn’t have you drooling, here are some of the reasons why you’ll love this bread…
This gluten free dairy free brown bread is sweetened with just a touch of molasses and honey. It’s an ideal combination in this bread. Other sweeteners like sugar or even stevia, just don’t cut it. Liquid sweetener adds such a rich, dark color and a high level of moisture and just outperforms white sugar.
With just a touch of coconut flour and ½ cup of almond flour, this bread doesn’t stand a chance of being dry and tasteless.
If there happens to be any of this bread left, simply wrap it in plastic wrap and it will stay fresh on the counter for a couple days. Any longer than that and just wrap it one more time and freeze it.
Ready for the most delicious gluten free dairy free brown bread?
Gluten Free Dairy Free Brown Bread
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 2 ¼ tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup creamy cashew butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 315° F. Prepare an 8 ¼ x 4 ¼ inch loaf pan – spray the pan with cooking spray, line the bottom of it with a piece of parchment paper and grease the paper well.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, 2 tsp. caraway seeds, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, or bowl of a stand mixer, add the cashew butter, eggs, egg whites, molasses, honey, water and vinegar. Beat on medium speed until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ tsp. caraway seeds on the top.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes. The loaf should be golden brown on top and a toothpick should come out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan, on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and let the loaf cool completely.