These gluten free Oreo balls are delicious and oh so easy to whip up. These are perfect for chocolate lovers, and they can be prepared in just 10 minutes. Simply pop them in the refrigerator overnight, decorate them the next day, and you'll have a batch of Oreo balls that will please a crowd!
You only need 5 ingredients to make these rich, chocolatey no-bake Oreo desserts. This is a wonderful recipe to have on hand for parties, family gatherings, and holidays. Give them the perfect finishing touch with sprinkles that match the occasion. These will be a popular treat all year long!
Why this recipe is the best!
These Oreo balls are amazing, not only because they're gluten and dairy free, but because they are so easy to make! Since they don't need to be baked, you just need to prepare, chill, and decorate them. Here are a few more reasons you'll love these Oreo balls:
- This recipe only calls for 5 ingredients.
- You just need 10 minutes to prepare these Oreo balls before they get chilled.
- The toppings are customizable; you can top the Oreo balls with whatever you want.
- These treats store well, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Gluten free Oreo cookies - The Oreos should be regular size, not double stuffed.
- Dairy free cream cheese - I recommend using Violife dairy free cream cheese.
- Semi-sweet dairy free chocolate chips - The Nestle Tollhouse Allergy Friendly brand of chocolate chips was used in this recipe.
- Vegetable oil - Coconut oil can also be used to melt with the chocolate chips.
- Decorations - You can decorate with sprinkles or another topping of your choice.
Measurements for each ingredient, along with instructions for making the oreo balls are in the recipe card below.
Note about decorations
The great thing about these treats is that you can customize the decorations! You can top them with sprinkles, cookie crumbs, drizzled white chocolate, and the list goes on. For holiday-themed Oreo balls, use different colored and shaped sprinkles (like red and green sand sugar or holly-shaped sprinkles for Christmas).
Oreo Balls Step-By-Step Instructions
Start by placing a sheet of parchment paper in a 9"x13" baking dish and set aside. Add the 32 Oreo cookies into the bowl of a large food processor (step 1 above).
Pulse for 5-7 seconds, until they turn into crumbs. Divide the cream cheese into 4 pieces and add them all to the food processor (step 2). Pulse for 10 seconds, until the mixture comes together (step 3).
Scoop 1 ½ tablespoons of the mixture, roll into a ball, and place it in the baking dish (step 4). Repeat this with the rest of the mixture (step 5). Cover the baking dish and refrigerate overnight (step 6).
Note about refrigerating overnight
An overnight chill is essential for these bite size treats. Otherwise they may be too soft and collapse when the chocolate is poured on top.
Decorating & serving
After the balls have chilled overnight, add the chocolate chips and oil to a medium bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments until the chocolate is melted. Stir every 30 seconds. The total microwaving time will vary but should be around 2 minutes.
Next, place a piece of wax paper on the counter. Place a wire rack on top of the paper and space each Oreo ball out on the rack. Use a spoon to cover each ball with melted chocolate until they are fully coated. Sprinkle with toppings immediately since the chocolate sets quickly.
1. Measure each ball
To ensure that your Oreo balls are all the same size, measure a tablespoon and a half for each one. This should give you 22 Oreo balls in total!
2. Use a baking dish with a plastic cover
I recommend using a 9"x13" baking dish with a plastic cover to store the balls in the refrigerator when they're chilling. After they are all decorated, you can put them back into the container for storing!
3. Refrigerate the Oreo balls overnight
For the best results, refrigerate these no bake treats for 12 hours or overnight. This way, they will be firm and ready to be coated in melted chocolate. You can make the balls the night before you want to decorate them and get them out of the refrigerator the next day and finish them!
4. Use a wire rack for easy decorating
The best way I've found to coat and decorate them is by placing a wire rack on top of wax paper. Place each ball far enough apart on the rack and then coat them with chocolate and sprinkle with toppings. The wax paper underneath makes for easy cleanup!
If you can dream it, it can be a topping! You can top these Oreo balls with sprinkles, sanding sugar, crumbled cookies, white chocolate drizzle, crushed nuts, and so on.
I don't recommend freezing. For the best texture, these treats should be enjoyed up to 5 days after they are made. Biting into a freshly-made Oreo ball is the best!
I recommend chilling these at least overnight. The longer they have in the refrigerator, the better! They need to get cold and firm so that they will hold their shape when you coat them in chocolate.
Store the completed oreo balls in the baking dish and keep them in the refrigerator until you want to serve them. They store very well, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Other chocolate recipes you may like!
Easy, 10 Minute Prep Gluten Free Oreo Balls (Dairy Free)
- 32 gluten free Oreo cookies about 14 ounce package
- 7 ounces dairy free cream cheese softened
- 10 ounces semi-sweet dairy free chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon vegetable oil
- Decorations: sprinkles
- Prepare a 9" x 13" baking dish by placing a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a large food processor, add the 32 cookies.
- Pulse for 5-7 seconds, until they turn to crumbs.
- Cut the cream cheese into 4 pieces and add to the food processor. Pulse for 10 seconds, until mixture comes together.
- Scoop 1 ½ Tablespoons of mixture and roll it into a ball. Place it on the parchment in the baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining Oreo mixture.
- Cover the baking dish and refrigerate overnight.
- In a medium bowl, add the chocolate chips and vegetable oil. Melt in the microwave in 30 second increments. Stirring after each 30 seconds. Total will vary but around 2 minutes.
- Place a piece of wax paper on the counter. Place a wire rack on top the paper. Space each Oreo ball on the wire rack.
- Use a spoon and cover each ball with a spoonful of melted chocolate.
- Sprinkle with decorations immediately after coating each ball as the chocolate starts to set quickly.
- Place completed Oreo balls back on the baking dish parchment, cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Use regular, gluten free Oreos. Not double stuffed.
- Violife dairy free cream cheese is recommended for the recipe.
- The Enjoy Life brand of semi-sweet chips was used for this recipe.
- Use about 1 ½ Tablespoons for each ball. The recipe makes about 22 balls.
- A baking dish with a plastic cover is recommended.
- Refrigerate the Oreo balls overnight for best results.
- Use a small spoon to coat each ball with chocolate.
- Make sure to work quickly as the chocolate may set up, preventing any decorations from sticking.
- A wire rack placed on a piece of wax paper works best for coating and decorating. Leave enough space in between each to decorate.
- Refrigerate the balls until serving. They are best served cold.
- They store very well, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freezing is not recommended.