This decadent gluten free chocolate pie is incredibly rich and super chocolatey. With a hint of coffee flavor, this is the dessert that everyone will ask for and no one will know is dairy free. Enjoy a slice of this pie topped with a dollop of dairy free whipped cream and your favorite berries for the ultimate sweet treat.
This melt in your mouth chocolate pie is one of my go-to recipes for parties and holiday celebrations. It’s so simple to put together and can easily be made ahead of time with just 10 minutes of prep. Paired with my homemade gluten and dairy free graham cracker crust, the creamy chocolate pie filling will have everyone begging for more. If you’re short on time and looking for a 100% no-bake option, a pre-made gluten free pie crust will do the trick.
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links support Zest For Baking at no additional cost to you. I receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase through these links.
Table of contents
⭐Why this recipe is a must-make!
When I said this gluten free chocolate pie was simple to make, I meant it! I love this recipe because all you need is 8 ingredients and a few minutes to put it together. Using a blender or food processor makes the preparation even easier! Here are a few more things you’ll love about this rich and velvety chocolate pie recipe:
- The pie filling can be prepped in just 10 minutes (for more quick prep recipes, check out these pumpkin pancakes and this gluten free fudge)
- It’s both gluten and dairy free
- You can use either a homemade or store-bought pie crust
- Like this tiramisu, it’s a terrific make-ahead dessert
This pie recipe is very simple if you keep in mind a few important things. These baking tips will ensure your gluten free chocolate pie is a success!
1. Blend the coconut milk until smooth before adding it to the recipe
When you first open the can of coconut milk, the cream will be separated from the liquid. It’s important to blend the coconut milk until it is smooth and even. You should do this before microwaving it with the chocolate chips.
2. Measure the ingredients by weight
Be sure to measure the chocolate chips, coconut milk, and cocoa powder by weight with a digital scale for this pie filling. This is a crucial step in this recipe because it ensures the ingredients are measured accurately.
3. Use a blender or food processor to make the pie filling
The easiest and quickest way to make this filling is in a blender or food processor. I like this method because it does all the work for you and makes for an easy clean-up!
4. Refrigerate the pie on a flat surface
To ensure your pie sets up evenly, place it on a flat surface to set up in the refrigerator. Otherwise, the top of your pie may not turn out flat and smooth.
5. Helpful tools
Here are some tools that will help in prepping your gluten free chocolate pie:
- Digital scale
- Blender or food processor
- Large microwave-safe bowl
- Rubber spatula
- 9” pie plate
🧾Ingredients & substitutions
- Gluten free graham cracker crust - I use my gluten free graham cracker crust to make this pie. A store-bought gluten free graham cracker crust can also be used if desired.
- Dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips - This recipe was tested with Enjoy Life brand dairy free chocolate chips. Regular chocolate chips can be used as a substitute if needed.
- Coconut milk - Make sure to use canned coconut milk. This is the brand tested in this recipe. There is no substitute for the coconut milk in this pie recipe.
- Cashew butter - This brand of cashew butter was used in the recipe. Almond butter can be used as an alternative for all or part of the cashew butter in this recipe.
- Cocoa powder - There is no alternative to the cocoa powder in this recipe.
- Pure vanilla extract - There is no substitute for the vanilla extract in this recipe. Any high quality pure vanilla extract will work fine.
- Instant coffee powder - You can use your favorite brand of instant coffee powder here. There is no substitute for the coffee powder but it can be left out if desired.
- Salt - There is no substitute for salt in this pie.
📖Making the filling
Preparing this melt in your mouth gluten free chocolate pie takes only 10 minutes! Start by opening the can of coconut milk and blending it in the blender or food processor until the consistency is smooth and even. Then, place the blended coconut milk and chocolate chips in a large microwave safe bowl (step 1 above). Microwave for 1 minute. Then, stir the mixture. Microwave for 30 more seconds, or until the mixture is smooth (step 2). Next, pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Add the cashew butter, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, instant coffee powder, and salt to the food processor as well (step 3). Blend the mixture on high for 30 seconds. Then, scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula and blend again for 15 more seconds until smooth (step 4).
Pour the pie filling mixture into the baked and cooled graham cracker crust. You may have a little bit of extra filling. Just fill the crust until the chocolate filling reaches the top but doesn't overflow. Then, carefully move the pie to the refrigerator and let chill on a flat surface for at least 4 hours before serving. Slice and serve with a dollop of dairy free whipped topping and berries if desired.
If you have any pie left over, it stores very well. Just wrap or cover it well and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week. It does not freeze well as the crust gets soggy after defrosting.
Yes. Using a blender or food processor to make this pie filling makes the process super quick and easy though. That said, it can be made with a hand mixer if needed. I would not recommend mixing this up by hand just because it will require some vigorous mixing.
The instant coffee powder enhances the chocolate flavor of the pie filling to make it even more rich and flavorful. It can be omitted from the recipe if needed, but I definitely recommend it for a stronger chocolatey taste!
You can store this pie in the refrigerator for up to a week. Make sure you cover it well or place it in an airtight container.
Other recipes you may like!
Melt in Your Mouth Gluten Free Chocolate Pie (Dairy Free)
- one 9" gluten free graham cracker crust baked and cooled
- 380 grams dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 400 grams coconut milk canned and blended until smooth
- ½ cup cashew butter
- 12 grams cocoa powder about 2 Tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Place blended coconut milk and chocolate chips in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for 30 more seconds, or until mixture is smooth.
- Pour chocolate into the bowl of a food processor.
- Add cashew butter, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, instant coffee and salt to food processor.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds. Scrape down the bowl and blend again for 15 seconds.
- Pour mixture into the baked and cooled graham cracker crust.
- Carefully move pie to the refrigerator and let chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of dairy free whipped topping.
- Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips were used in the recipe.
- Blend the can of coconut milk in the food processor until smooth.
- Almond butter can be substituted for all or part of the cashew butter.
- This gluten free graham cracker crust was used for this recipe.
- You may not use all of the chocolate mixture in the graham cracker crust. Just fill the crust until the filling reaches the top but doesn't overflow.
- The pie will be very full - place on an even surface in the refrigerator otherwise the pie may be uneven.