If you are a passionate peanut butter lover like me, then these 9-ingredient gluten free peanut butter brownies are for you! Loaded with rich peanut butter flavor, these super chewy brownies are a quick and easy way to satisfy a sweet tooth.
These brownies bake up extra soft and gooey in the center with a fantastically crisp exterior. This recipe comes together in no time with a few simple ingredients, making it a terrific choice for beginners as well as seasoned bakers. Enjoy these flavorful bakery-style peanut butter brownies for several days or pop them in the freezer for an easy sweet treat later on.
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links support Zest For Baking at no additional cost to you. I receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase through these links.
📋Why this recipe is the best!
This recipe is one of my favorites simply because of how easy and delicious it is. It’s the perfect alternative to traditional chocolate brownies (these oat flour brownies are full of chocolate flavor if you'd rather go for the chocolate kind!). Not only are these peanut butter brownies gluten and dairy free, but they can easily be made sugar free as well if desired. Here are a few more reasons why this recipe is the best:
- The prep takes just 10 minutes, similar to these oatmeal crepes or millet biscuits
- It’s made with only 9 ingredients
- It can be stored for three days at room temperature (this is a big one for gluten free baked goods!)
- You can add nuts or chocolate chips to switch up the flavor
- It makes 9 perfectly thick and chewy brownies
This 9-ingredient gluten free peanut butter brownie recipe is an easy, fool-proof recipe that you’ll want to make again and again. Because gluten free baking can sometimes pose a challenge, follow these baking tips for the best results!
1. Use room temperature ingredients
For the best soft and chewy brownies, be sure to use room temperature ingredients. This is important because room temperature ingredients combine much more easily during mixing than cold ingredients.
2. Measure the ingredients by weight
Use a digital scale like this one to measure the flour and sugars in this recipe. Weight measurement is the most accurate way to measure these ingredients. More on this in my baking class!
3. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes
Giving the batter time to rest before baking allows the dry ingredients to fully absorb the liquid ingredients. This is true for most gluten free baking recipes, even for these pancakes. It also gives your brownies the perfect soft and chewy texture!
4. Helpful tools
These tools will help make prepping your peanut butter brownies super easy:
- Digital scale
- Medium mixing bowl
- Stand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- 8” square baking pan
🧾Ingredients & substitutions
- Gluten free flour - This recipe was tested using King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten free flour. Using a different brand of flour may alter the outcome of the recipe.
- Baking powder - There is no substitute for the baking powder in this recipe.
- Salt - There is no substitute for the salt in these brownies.
- Vegan butter - This recipe was tested using Country Crock vegan butter. Regular butter also works well for these brownies.
- Creamy peanut butter - I recommend using Jif creamy peanut butter. Another brand of peanut butter may work but I have not tested it.
- Granulated sugar - Swerve granular sweetener is a good sugar free alternative that works well in these brownies.
- Brown sugar - For a sugar free option, swerve brown sugar replacement sweetener can be used here.
- Eggs - If you would like to substitute the eggs in this recipe, chia eggs make a great alternative here.
- Pure vanilla extract - There is no substitute for the vanilla extract in this recipe. Any high-quality pure vanilla extract will be fine.
Whip up this peanut butter brownie batter in just 10 minutes. Once all of your ingredients are at room temperature, add the flour mix, baking powder, and salt to a medium mixing bowl (step 1 above). Then, whisk them together and set the bowl aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the vegan butter and peanut butter (step 2). Cream them together until smooth. Next, add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract (step 3). Mix on medium speed for 30 seconds to fully combine.
All at once, add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture (step 4). Then, blend it on low speed for 15 seconds until mixed. Stop the machine and scrape down the batter with a rubber spatula (step 5). Finally, mix on medium speed for 1 minute until it is fully combined. Set the batter aside to rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, spray an 8" square baking pan with cooking spray. Once it’s done resting, scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly with a rubber spatula (step 6).
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the brownies for 40-42 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Then, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 minutes. Cut the brownies into squares using a sharp knife and serve.
Once baked and cooled, you can store these brownies at room temperature in a tightly sealed plastic container or under a cake dome for up to 3 days. For longer storage, you'll want to cut the brownies into squares and keep them in the freezer. Thaw them on the counter until they are ready to eat again.
Fudgy brownies generally contain a higher ratio of fat to flour than cakey brownies. These peanut butter brownies are more on the fudgy, chewy side. The peanut butter adds additional fat which contributes to this consistency.
Yes! These brownies keep very well for a few days so they are a fantastic make-ahead dessert. Serve them as is or warm them up and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Either way, they are sure to be a hit!
If you don’t have an 8” pan, you can use one that is similar in size. Note that using a larger pan may result in a thinner brownie and a smaller pan may make your brownies thicker. Keep in mind that the bake time may vary depending on the size pan you use.
Other recipes you may like!
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review and rating below! And make sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook too!
9-Ingredient Gluten Free Peanut Butter Brownies
- 130 grams King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten free flour about 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegan butter softened
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 133 grams granulated sugar about ⅔ cup
- 100 grams brown sugar about ½ cup
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together vegan butter and peanut butter until smooth.
- Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Blend on medium speed for 30 seconds to fully combine.
- All at once add the the flour mixture to the sugar mixture. Blend on low speed for 15 seconds until mixed. Stop the machine and scrape down the batter.
- Mix on medium speed for 1 minute until fully combined.
- Set batter aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray an 8" square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oven to 350 F. Scrape batter into the pan and bake for 40 - 42 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting into squares using a sharp knife.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Measure flour and sugars by weight.
- This recipe was tested using King Arthur Measure for Measure flour mix and Jif creamy peanut butter.
- Regular butter can be substituted for the vegan butter.
- Swerve sugars can be substituted for the white and brown sugar.
- A chia egg makes a great egg substitute in this recipe.
- Brownies will last for several days under a cake dome or sealed in a plastic container.
Leave a Reply