Just the simple goodness of gluten free pita bread... fluffy, tender and super simple to make with just 5 ingredients!
As anyone on a gluten free diet can affirm, finding alternatives to sandwich bread can be a challenge. That’s where pita bread steps in to fill the void. With its amazing taste and fun, versatile uses, pita bread is a delicious way to dress up an ordinary meal to something extraordinary.
This particular recipe for gluten free pita bread is about as easy as they come. Really. There are no gums added or yeast added, so it’s a ‘whip it together, portion the batter and cook’ sort of recipe.
How to Make Gluten Free Pita Bread
Just in case you were wondering just how easy this pita bread really is, read on...
Start with the ingredients
Arrowroot powder is a super starch made from the root of the tropical plant, Maranta arundinacea. It is not a grain, so it's perfect if you're on a grain free diet.
The almond flour is a power punch of good nutrients. Almonds are super healthy nuts, providing a good amount of the mineral manganese and vitamin E , as well as a healthy serving of monounsaturated fats in each ¼ cup serving. Not only do almonds have a healthy boost of protein, but they are also very low in carbohydrates and naturally gluten free.
The end result of the pita bread batter is a lot like thin pancake batter. It's just slightly thick enough to hold it's shape.
Cooking the pita bread
The key to cooking pita bread is olive oil.
But not in the recipe, in the skillet.
A nice drop or two of olive oil helps the pita breads brown and develop a firm exterior while still keeping the interior tender.
Look at that delicious golden brown color...
Note: For flipping the pita breads, use a long flat spatula like this one and carefully slide it underneath. Tilt the skillet a little as you flip the other side in to cook.
This recipe makes 5 pita breads if you use about ⅔ cup batter for each. If you happen to have any pitas left over and don't want to use them right away, just freeze them!
Simply layer each one in between plastic wrap and cover the entire stack with foil. Stick them in a freezer bag and you'll be able to have delicious pita breads any time.
Check out our recipe for Gluten Free Dairy Free Dinner Rolls (without Yeast!)
Gluten Free Pita Bread (Dairy Free)
- 2 cups arrowroot powder
- 60 grams almond flour about ½ cup
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup almond milk or other dairy free milk
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the arrowroot powder, almond flour and salt.
- Add eggs and milk to the flour mixture and mix with a whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Set batter aside to est for 30 minutes.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Once skillet is hot, sprinkle lightly with olive oil. Pour ⅔ cup batter into the skillet.
- Cook for 4 minutes on one side, then carefully flip over.
- Cook for an additional 4 minutes and remove to a plate to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, sprinkling olive oil in the skillet between each one.
- Use room temperature ingredients
- Keep sprinkling with olive oil in between pitas
- Flip using a flat spatula to slide underneath and then gently turn over