Although toast may be the most well known quick breakfast bread for toppings like jelly and butter; crispy, toasted gluten free English muffins have to be a close second.
And these English muffins are by far the very best! This recipe makes an amazing gluten free English muffin - so light, so airy and with the perfect texture. And that taste....
Matter of fact, they are heavenly - that's the only way to describe them!
The tops and bottoms are light, golden brown and get their characteristic crispness from a quick sear in a skillet. And then with a few minutes in the oven... they are ready to eat!
Here are some tips for the very best gluten free English muffins…
Complete rise time
The rise time is super important for English muffins. Where some bread can get away with shaving a minute or two off the rise time, these gluten free English muffins need every minute to fully develop the bubbles that give them that amazing texture.
It’s what makes an English muffin, an English muffin!
Just like in this dinner roll recipe, weighing the dry ingredients is really important for accuracy. Not only does it ensure you have the correct amount, but it is a true way of accounting for differences in flours and starches. Not all brands are created equal (in measuring cups that is!).
Buckwheat flour tip: I use the Bouchard Farms brand of light Buckwheat flour in this recipe. It is lighter, less grainy and should not have a grey tint to it.
Portioning out the batter into the ring
A tip for buttering the rings: Use a stick of butter and open one end. Holding the unopened end, coat the inside of the rings using the buttery end.
Flipping the English muffins
Flipping these tasty breads is more about having the right tools. Before portioning the batter into the ring, make sure you have the following items handy:
So you’ve poured the batter into the rings – now just set the time for 5 minutes. Then, using your metal spatula, carefully slide it underneath the muffin and do one quick flip to the other side.
The muffins will be firm enough that they will hold their shape.
Let the other side cook for 5 minutes and then slide the spatula underneath again and slide it onto the prepared pan.
A quick bake in the oven and these gluten free English muffins are ready to be enjoyed.
And now for the recipe for these delicious gluten free English muffins...
Oh, and if you enjoy this recipe, will you give it a rating?
The Best Gluten Free English Muffins
- 234 grams tapioca starch about 2 cups
- 150 grams light buckwheat flour about 1 cup + 1 tsp.
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. white sugar
- ⅓ cup water warmed to room temperature
- 2 large egg whites
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the tapioca starch, buckwheat flour and salt. Stir until combined.
- In a small saucepan, bring the milk and butter to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture is boiling, immediately pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix on medium until blended. Allow the mixture to cool for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a 1 cup measuring cup, combine the water and sugar and mix. Add the yeast. Let the mixture proof for 15 minutes.
- Add the yeast mixture to the cooled dough and blended until combined.
- Scrape the dough down in the bowl and cover it with a cloth. Allow it to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare the baking sheet and 8 English muffins rings by greasing them well with butter. Set aside.
- Once the dough has risen, add the egg whites to the dough and mix again until the mixture is smooth.
- Preheat a flat bottom skillet and position 3 English muffin rings in the pan.
- Portion ⅓ cup of batter into each ring and smooth the top slightly. Let cook for 5 minutes. Using a flat spatula, flip the entire muffin and ring over and cook another 5 minutes.
- Place each cooked muffin on the prepared baking sheet and carefully remove the ring.
- Once all English muffins are cooked and on the baking sheet, place them in the oven and bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Cooking these English muffins is along like flipping pancakes, only with a ring around them. Carefully slide the spatula under the muffin, ring and all, and flip it all over.
- The cooking time will vary depending on your heat - cook them till the bottom is nice and brown.
- A quick bake in the oven for a few minutes and they'll be ready to eat!
And make sure to check out these other amazing gluten free recipes:
- Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich
- Gluten Free Rice Flour White Bread for the Bread Machine
- Gluten Free French Bread Loaf
- Gluten Free Dairy Free Rolls
And these gluten free baking tips will help you in the kitchen: