It's that time again.
Time when little princesses and super heroes take to the streets to enjoy all the fun and free candy that Halloween has to offer.
While you may not worry so much about the kind of candy that you give out to fellow trick or treaters, the candy your kids bring home is cause for concern. For kids who are super-sensitive to gluten, the fear of a candy mix up among friends can be worrisome.
But, it doesn't have to spoil the fun of gathering as much candy as humanly possible and then searching through it all to find the perfect one to start with.
Here's a nice list of all the Halloween candy you and your kids can enjoy till they (and you) are sugared-out!
Table of contents
List of Candy Brands
Hershey’s Candy | The Hershey Company
The Hershey Company keeps an ongoing list of gluten free candy and updates it frequently. In general, if it's a seasonal candy, avoid it. But these candies all fall into the gluten free category:
- Almond Joy - except Almond Joy Pieces
- Mounds Bars
- Brookside Chocolate - a favorite at my house! These are all gf:
- Brookside Dark Chocolate Acai and Blueberry Flavors
- Brookside Dark Chocolate Goji and Raspberry Flavors
- Brookside Dark Chocolate Merlot Grape and Black Currant Flavors
- Brookside Dark Chocolate Mango and Mangosteen Flavors
- Brookside Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Flavor
- Brookside Milk Chocolate Covered Almonds
- Dagoba - organic chocolate
- Heath Bars
- Hershey’s Kisses - these are all gf:
- Hershey’s Kisses - Hot Cocoa
- Hershey’s Hugs Candy
- Hershey’s Kisses Milk Chocolate Filled with Caramel
- Hershey’s Kisses Milk Chocolate Filled with Cherry Cordial Crème
- Hershey’s Kisses Dark Chocolate Filled with Mint Truffle
- Hershey’s Kisses Meltaway Milk Chocolates
- Hershey’s Kisses Milk Chocolate
- Hershey’s Kisses Special Dark Mildly Sweet Chocolate
- Hershey's Kisses - Candy Cane
- Hershey's Kisses - Kiss Deluxe
- Hershey's Kisses - Espresso
- Hershey's Kisses Creamy Milk Chocolate
- Hershey's Kisses Creamy Milk Chocolate with Almonds
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar (1.55 oz only) - Watch the sizes!
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar with Almonds (1.45 oz only) - Watch the sizes!
- Hershey's Nuggets
- Hershey’s Nuggets Milk Chocolates
- Hershey’s Nuggets Milk Chocolate with Almonds
- Hershey’s Nuggets Special Dark Chocolate with Almonds
- Hershey’s Nuggets Extra Creamy Milk Chocolate with Toffee and Almonds
- Hershey's Nuggets Special Dark Chocolate
- Hershey's Milk Duds
- Hershey's Special Dark Snack bars
- PayDay - all sizes
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups - these are gf:
- Reese’s Fast Break Bar
- Reese’s Nutrageous Bar (Standard and King)
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups – All Except Seasonal Shaped Items
- Reese's Unwrapped Mini Minis - Milk Chocolate and White
- Reese’s Pieces Candy - All Except Reese’s Pieces Eggs
- Reese's Pieces Peanut Butter Cups – All Except Seasonal Shaped Items
- Rolo candy - not Rolo minis!
- Scharffen Berger Bars
- SKOR and SKOR Toffee bar
- York Peppermint Patties - not these: York Pieces Candy, Sugar Free Peppermint Patties, York Minis, and York Shapes (5 oz.)
Just Born Inc.
Although the candies listed below are made without gluten ingredients, Just Born encourages customers to check the labels of the candies as some are made on gluten equipment also.
- Goldenberg’s Peanut Chews (including Bite-Size Chewy Pieces Combo bag, Milk Chocolatey and Original Dark)
- Mike and Ike (including Hot Tamales, Jolly Joes snack size, Mummy’s Mix Chewy Fruit flavor, Original Fruit, Tangy Twister, Zours Chewy Sour candy)
- Peeps (including chocolate mousse-flavored cats, dark chocolate-covered pumpkins, dark chocolate-dipped orange chicks, ghosts marshmallow candy, milk chocolate-covered pumpkins, milk chocolate-dipped orange chips, mini marshmallow chicks, pumpkins marshmallow candy, sugar-free pumpkins marshmallow)
- Teenee Beanee jelly beans
Mars encourages consumers to read the label before purchasing and look for the “May contain [allergen]” label. During Halloween, some candy is produced at alternative facilities that may provide gluten cross-contamination risks.
- 3 Musketeers Bar (all flavors)
- Dove Chocolate (all flavors EXCEPT milk chocolate cinnamon graham and cookies & cream)
- M&M’s (all flavors except for pretzel-flavor)
- Milky Way Midnight Bar and Caramel Bar (Milky Way original is NOT gluten-free)
- Snickers Bar (all flavors)
Most of Necco's chewy candy favorites (Starburst, Skittles, Smarties) are gluten free. Refer to the company with any specific questions though.
- Candy Canes
- Candy House Candy Buttons
- Circus Peanuts
- Haviland Thin Mints, Wintergreen Patty Nonpareils and Chocolate Starts Skybar
- Jelly Belly
- Laffy Taffy
- Mary Jane (including peanut butter kisses)
- Mint Julep Chews
- Necco Chocolate Wafers
- Necco Wafers
- Red Bird Peppermint Puffs
- Sour Patch
- Swedish Fish
- Nestle Bit-O-Honey
- Nestle Treasures
- Baby Ruth
- Butterfinger (does NOT Include Butterfinger Crisp)
- Nestle Sno-Caps
- Nestle Spree
- Gobstoppers (including chewy and original)
- Lik-M-Aid Fun Dip
- Nerds (including Nerds Gumballs and Nerds Rope)
- Pixy Stix
- Runts (including chewy and original)
Note: Candy Corn does not contain gluten ingredients however, they are not guaranteed to be free of cross contamination.
- Endangered Species Chocolate (will be clearly labeled if gluten-free)
- Green & Black’s Organic chocolate bars (including almond, butterscotch, caramel, cherry, creamy milk, dark 85%, dark 70%, espresso, ginger, hazelnut and currant, Maya gold, milk chocolate, mint, raisin and hazelnut, white)
- Heavenly Organics (including Honey Pattie Chocolate Almond-Healthy Candy, Honey Pattie Chocolate Ginger-Healthy Candy, Honey Pattie Chocolate Mint-Healthy Candy, Honey Pattie Chocolate Pomegranate-Healthy Candy
- Righteously Raw Chocolates (are labeled with the CSA Celiac Sprue Gluten-Free Certification label)
The entire SMARTIES line of products is gluten-free. Smarties suggests checking the UPC number. If it begins with “0 11206,” the product is manufactured in a gluten-free facility.
Tootsie Roll industries
All Tootsie products are gluten-free except for Andes Cookies.
All U.S. Wrigley products follow all FDA labeling regulations. If the use of gluten is critical to the taste of a Wrigley product, then gluten-containing ingredients are labeled. Wrigley advises consumers concerned with gluten sensitivities to read the label and check with their doctors if they have questions.
- Dum Dums lollipops
- Charms Blow Pops
- Jolly Ranchers
- Jelly Belly
- Life Savers
- Pop Rocks
- PayDay Bars
This is probably not an inclusive list, but as I scour for more ideas, I will add them.
Have a goulish, good time with all your gluten free Halloween candy!