A sweet, delicious gluten free strawberry muffin just bursting with fresh flavor – you might even call this a ‘2-batch recipe’ because you might need to make 2 batches since they’ll go so quickly!
Sweet gluten free strawberry muffins, just like you’d expect during strawberry season – these muffins are the perfect example of what happens when strawberries hit the produce section and they all look so good. It means strawberry muffins and strawberry shortcakes too! A bounty of berries means a bounty of recipes.
There are several things to love about these muffins, but here are some of my favorites…
Making Gluten Free Strawberry Muffins
The makings of a tasty strawberry muffin are pretty simple:
- Our gluten free flour blend – follow the link to it
- Some baking soda, psyllium husk, sugar and spices
- Eggs, butter, yogurt and vanilla
- And the star of the recipe – strawberries!
And a note about the yogurt – use any type you have on hand, but just avoid the fat free kind. I’ve used regular yogurt and Greek yogurt and both turn out wonderfully. Fat free tends to produce a more runny batter.
Folding in the Strawberries
Once you’ve mixed up the batter for these gluten free strawberry muffins, it’s time to add the strawberries.
I like to chop my strawberries to a bit smaller than bite size. So when you bite into the muffin, it’s not just a big chunk of strawberry, the texture of the muffin stands out too.
Strawberries are somewhat delicate, like blueberries. Too much force behind the stir can damage and crush them. So that’s why you want to ‘fold’ them into the batter. Like this blueberry muffin bread, folding keeps them from breaking apart and making your batter all red!
A 12 cup muffin pan is the perfect size pan for these strawberry muffins. I prefer spraying the pan with nonstick cooking spray over using paper liners, but if you’d like to use liners, then go ahead and add those. Carefully add a dollop of muffin batter to each cup. Aim for filling each cup almost to the top.
Tools I Use
This recipe doesn’t require much, but these baking essentials are the keys to keeping the recipe quick and easy. Can you make it without them? Sure, but the right kitchen tools make it so much easier!
If you want to see more strawberry recipes, check out these strawberry shortcakes next.
And don’t forget to rate this sweet strawberry muffin recipe!
Gluten Free Strawberry Muffins
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free flour mix
- 1 tsp. psyllium husk
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter melted and cooled
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups strawberries coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray, or use paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the gluten free flour, psyllium husk powder, baking soda, sugar and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
- Add in the yogurt, melted and cooled butter and vanilla extract and mix.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until moistened.
- Gently fold in the strawberries with a rubber spatula.
- Fill muffin cups almost to the top with the batter.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Regular or Greek yogurt works well in this recipe
- Cut the strawberries into bite sized pieces
- Use a rubber spatula to fold in the strawberries