Step aside all other gluten free gingerbread – this recipe is so full of flavor and features an easy, homemade gingerbread mix. You’ll be nominated to bring THIS DESSERT to every function!
One piece of gingerbread, warm and just out of the oven is just what a holiday baking bonanza needs. And this gluten free variety will impress even the pickiest eater with how amazing it tastes and how easily it comes together. It’s sure to become one of your favorite recipes.
Is It Necessary to Sift the Dry Ingredients in this Gluten Free Gingerbread Recipe?
While sifting takes a bit more time and requires one more kitchen tool, it’s an essential step for the lightest and most tender gingerbread. And in this case, sifting functions as a way to aerate the dry ingredients. Cocoa powder has a tendency to form clumps in storage, so sifting breaks them apart and fully combines them in the flour.
What’s the Best Way to Serve Gluten Free Gingerbread?
Gingerbread is like a cake and quick bread mixed together to form a delicious, versatile treat for any time of day. Gingerbread can be served with just a dusting of powered sugar on top or a dollop of whipped cream on the side. It’s divine as a dessert, but also easy to package up for a bake sale.
What’s the Best Way to Store Gluten Free Gingerbread?
This gluten free gingerbread can be stored covered, at room temperature for 2 days. If you aren’t planning on enjoying it all right away, freeze individual pieces for longer storage.
How Long will the Gingerbread mix last?
A nice bonus with this recipe is that you’ll have some gingerbread mix left over! This stuff is amazing to add in a cup of coffee or when you’re adding brown sugar in a recipe, like this pumpkin bread. Just substitute a Tablespoon of it for a Tablespoon of the brown sugar. Yum! Keep it well sealed in a plastic bag or plastic container, store it at room temperature and it will last up to a month.
Steps for Making Gluten Free Gingerbread
Mix the Gingerbread mix together
The gingerbread mix is the highlight of the recipe – it’s easy to make and you’ll even have some left over. Just mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg in a small bowl. Set it aside until you’re ready to use it.
Prep the rest of the ingredients
The ingredients list for this gingerbread is short and sweet. And if you’re looking for a gingerbread that’s dairy free too… This is it! Just our gluten free flour blend, some sugar, honey, cocoa powder, coconut milk, oil and a dash of salt. Add in the homemade gingerbread mix and you have gingerbread! And if you’re looking for more dairy free recipes, check out these gluten free dairy free dinner rolls!
Sift the Dry Ingredients
Place the sifter over a large bowl and add the gluten free flour blend, cocoa and baking powder into it. A quick sift should do it.
No thick batter here! The batter for this gingerbread is going to be thin. Don’t get tempted to add more flour to it to thicken it up. Thin batter is ok.
A 9 x 13 inch baking pan should take about 40 minutes to fully bake. That decadent batter will bake up into a beautiful pan of gingerbread that can be sprinkled with powered sugar and then sliced into squares.
Gluten Free Gingerbread
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 cups gluten free flour mix
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. gingerbread mix
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 7 oz. coconut milk
- 3 ½ Tbsp. honey
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
For the Gingerbread Mix:
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Set aside.
For the Gingerbread:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease, or spray with cooking spray, a 9 x 13 inch pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift the gluten free flour mix, cocoa and baking powder.
- Add the sugar, 3 Tbsp. gingerbread mix and salt into the large bowl and mix well.
- In a small bowl, blend the milk with the honey. Add oil and mix well.
- All at once, add the liquid to the flour mix and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 – 45 mins. (check the time after 35 – a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean)
- The gluten free flour used in the recipe is here: Gluten Free Flour Mix
- Sift the dry ingredients before adding the liquid ingredients.
- The gingerbread batter will be thin.
- Store the prepared gingerbread for up to 2 days on the counter. Any longer than that and you'll want to freeze it.
If you enjoyed this recipe, there are plenty more where than came from! Check out these tasty gluten free recipes:
- Gluten Free Buttermilk Pie
- Gluten Free Pumpernickel Bread
- Quick Gluten Free Chocolate Biscuits
- The Best Gluten Free Garlic Bread with Cheese
And check out these Gluten Free Baking Tips:
- Ultimate Guide to Gluten Free Flours
- How to Substitute for Xanthan Gum
- How to Substitute for Potato Starch and Potato Flour